The topic of meatloaf inspires a wealth of nostalgia and conversation. It’s comfort food that sticks to your ribs and nurtures the soul. This recipe came together through my Mother, Nigella Lawson’s Mini Meatloaves, and an amazing ingredient suggestion given to me at Nardini Specialty Italian Foods . It was Nigella’s use of sausage meat that sent me to Nardini’s where I learned that adding white wine and shallots would deepen the flavour and give a touch of class to this otherwise homey dish. If you can get your hands on some fresh, all natural sausages, I encourage you to do so, as it make the lowly meatloaf something to be celebrated.
To lower the carbs I used a sprouted chia flax seed powder, instead of breadcrumbs, and paired it with a tangy low cal coleslaw in place of mashed potatoes.
This recipe makes a large meatloaf, but is easily halved. I’m feeding two teenage boys so I tend to make a lot and freeze the rest.
- 2 pounds gluten free mild Italian sausage
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 organic beef bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup chia flax seed meal (or breadcrumbs)
- 1 carrot finely grated
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic power
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon steak sauce
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 B.B.Q sauce
- 4-5 strips of naturally smoked bacon
Heat oven to 400 F.
Place meat mixture on a lined baking sheet and form into a loaf.
Cover with B.B.Q sauce and bacon.
Bake at 400 F for 1 hour 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reads 160 F.
- 1/2 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery root shredded, about 1\2 a root.
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 green onions chopped
Ingredients for The Apple Cider Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon good quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Mix all ingredients together in a mason jar or small bowl, pour over coleslaw and toss well.
Please let me know how this works out, as I wish you the very best success!